Susan Deierling, Assoc. Broker
(928) 451-6098 mobile
Realty Executives Northern Arizona
Tag Archives: Commuting
According to the Census Bureau, more than 3.2 million U.S. workers spend over 3 hours commuting to and from work each day.
Commutes exceeding 90 minutes in each direction are known as “extreme commutes” in Census Bureau parlance. As compared to typical commute times nationwide, they’re aptly named.
The national, average commute time is just 25.1 minutes.
For home buyers in Cornville or in any U.S. city, make sure to make commute times a consideration before placing an offer on a property. The length of your daily commute will make an impact on your life.
Studies shows that shorter commutes are linked to higher levels of life satisfaction. Long commutes are linked to low levels of life satisfaction.
As ranked by the Census Bureau, here are the 10 cities with the longest average commute times, where commuting is defined as the total time to arrive at work, inclusive of all modes of transportation (i.e. automobile, train, subway, foot, or other) :
- New York / North New Jersey / Long Island : 34.6 minutes
- Washington, DC / Arlington / Alexandria : 33.4 minutes
- Poughkeepsie / Newburgh / Middletown, NY: 32.2 minutes
- Bremerton / Silverdale, WA : 30.8 minutes
- Chicago / Naperville / Joliet, IL : 30.7 minutes
- Winchester, VA : 30.3 minutes
- Atlanta / Sandy Springs / Marietta, GA 30.1 minutes
- Riverside / San Bernardino / Ontario, CA : 30.0 minutes
- Stockton, CA : 29.8 minutes
- Baltimore / Towson, MD : 29.7 minutes
By contrast, the shortest commute belongs to residents of Great Falls, Montana. The average commute for the city’s 58,000 residents is 14.2 minutes.
A long commute to work should not deter you from moving to a particular home or neighborhood, but your time-en-route should be a consideration. Before making an offer on a home in Verde Santa Fe , therefore, practice the rush hour commute from your potential new neighborhood in the morning, and back to it again that evening.
Then, imagine making the commute every day.